Friday, May 15, 2009

Senior Paper: Conclusion


Now it’s my turn, where will I be in ten years with all the technology that I have at my fingertips? Whether I become a sportswriter for Sports Illustrated that follows NFL teams or a golf reporter that follows the players on the PGA Tour, there are two things that I can do to help control my future as a journalist: report good, accurate journalism and be as versatile as possible with the new communication technology of today.

I really enjoy reading articles from professional sportswriters and columnists that have the knowledge, creativity, humor and ambition to go along with the passion in their writing that keeps me coming back to read their material because it’s journalism at its best. Since I don’t write for any newspaper or magazine at the moment, I do what I can and write on my own blog. When I do have time to write, I discipline myself by not writing random opinions or false information just to put my name out there. Instead, when I write articles I put my best effort forward to write well and with accurate information so I can make progress to be the best journalist I can be and to be proud of what I’m doing. That way when I put my articles out there for the world to see with the new technology I have today, people will hopefully enjoy reading my material so much that it may launch my career and help me get a job as a journalist someday.

“Don’t forget the journalism part. Just because someone carries a laptop, a Blackberry, or whatever else that is technologically advanced, doesn’t make them a journalist. You make yourself a journalist. Do you report, are you responsible, do you have integrity, are you fair, do you give people the opportunity to defend themselves…that’s the journalism part. The readers are savvy, they most of the time understand what is real and what isn’t when it comes to journalism, at least sports readers do. It truly is a mistake to not do the journalism part.” - Jeff Legwold

No comments: